Cellulite is a woe for women around the world. It’s that lumpy, bumpy flesh that appears on areas of the body that fat deposits are located such as the stomach, thighs, and butt. It can bring down your level of confidence make bikini season a constant struggle.
The fat deposits that cause cellulite are located directly underneath the surface of the skin, which is why they alter the appearance of your body so drastically. Your skin is connected to your muscle through bands of tissue and cellulite occurs when pockets of fat burrow in between the skin and tissue.
Cellulite can be embarrassing, but it’s also extremely common. Men and women can get cellulite but it affects more women than men. According to Medical News Today about %90 of women will experience cellulite at some point in their life. There are a few things that you should know and myths that should be broken down if you are trying to get rid of cellulite.
- There are several possible causes of cellulite
Fitness and diet
- One of the biggest factors that can play into the existence of cellulite on one’s body is the level of fitness that you have. If you are not are active you will have a greater percentage of fat in your body and have a higher chance of having cellulite. Diet also plays into this cause. If you consume a high amount of fatty, processed foods you have a greater chance at developing cellulite. It is important to note that even people who are thin can have cellulite.
- Cellulite can also be genetic. Genetics are a factor in deciding how and where your body stores fat, both of which effect whether or not you may develop cellulite. This does not mean that if your mother has cellulite then you will definitely have it, but you may. When a teenager has cellulite it usually runs in their family.
- Women are more likely to have cellulite because women tend to have higher body fat percentages. Estrogen (a female hormone) causes fat to store itself in the thighs and hips. Another reason is that men’s bodies have a different design than the female body which makes them more resistant to cellulite. The bands of tissue that connect a man’s skin to their muscle are thicker and fat has a lesser chance of making its way in between the bands.
- The thickness of one’s skin can also have an effect on the visibility of cellulite. The thinner one’s skin is the more visible the bumps and lumps below will be. The thickness of one’s skin can be determined by genetics and also by age, which is why many elders have cellulite. Those who have been smokers for a significant amount of their life will also wear down on the elasticity of their skin.
- There are things that you can do to try to prevent cellulite
As discussed above there are many things that put you at risk for developing cellulite. Some of these things cannot be controlled such as sex and genetics. However, the factors such as diet, lifestyle, and fitness can be controlled. Not smoking, excising, and avoiding foods that are low in saturated fat and sugar can help prevent cellulite and lessen the chances of gaining more cellulite. However, losing weight and increasing muscle might lessen the appearance but not completely eliminate cellulite in certain individuals.
- There are some treatments that may help you get rid of cellulite
Some have suggested that certain treatments might decrease or eliminate cellulite. There are many creams on the market that claim to lessen the appearance of cellulite. Individuals have also claimed that massaging and heating the skin can stimulate the lymphatic flow and decrease cellulite. Many people have also turned to drugs and vitamins that boast claims of banishing cellulite. These drugs are meant to break down the fat that is locked the tissue beneath the skin. However, though companies produce these products there is little scientific research to back up these claims. Cellmaxa cellulite treatment is also a clinically researched product which dramatically shrink fat cells to visibly alter and even out the entire skin surface.
- There are garments that may help get rid of cellulite
Companies have even created garments that are meant to reduce the appearance of dimpled skin over time. The garments, usually pants and shorts, compress arteries and speed up the flow of blood in an attempt to smooth the skin.
- None of these methods are scientifically proven to permanently eradicate cellulite
While there are methods such as those that we have previously discussed in this article which individuals have suggested helped to get rid of cellulite, there is no hard scientific evidence that proves these methods. In some cases when individuals develop cellulite they are unable to get rid of it. One can try these methods, but there is a chance that cellulite will continue to persist.